Springtime is a time of rebirth. Flowers and trees start to bloom, animals come out of hibernation – and your hair seems to adopt a life of its own. Spring may be beautiful, but all that extra humidity isn’t doing your hair any favors. Fortunately, with the right tips and products, you can help hair retain its bounce AND fight frizz this spring!
How Spring Affects Your Curly Hair
The two elements that have the most effect on curly hair during the spring are moisture and heat. Research has shown that curly hair lacks the protective outer coating of flat scales, known as cuticles, that protect the hair from humidity and sunlight. This lack of flat scales makes curly hair more susceptible to frizz and damage.
- Moisture in the form of humidity penetrates your hair shaft. While humidity typically adds bounce to curls, it can also make them unruly. The more moisture your hair absorbs from the air, the frizzier it could become without the right preparation. This happens because the humidity disrupts the hydrogen bonds between your hairs; it’s these hydrogen bonds that keep your curls defined.
- Heat from the sun (or from styling tools) dries your hair, which essentially damages the cuticles. As such, if you spend a lot of time in the sun, or if you use hot tools to straighten your hair, you’re likely doing more harm than good.
Tips to Fight Frizz and Boost Definition
The best way to keep your curls bouncy and frizz-free, even during the humid spring months, is to keep it healthy. There are many ways to do this:
- Avoid styling your hair with heat. This damages your hair cuticles and can cause curls to absorb more moisture from the air around them.
- Be very cautious about any hair treatments requiring chemicals. This includes perms, relaxers and color. These are notorious for damaging hair.
- Minimize your hair’s exposure to the sun. If you’ll be spending the day outside, wear a wide-brimmed hat and use a conditioner with built-in UVA and UVB protection.
- Keep your hair moisturized with the right products. When your hair is already fully saturated, it is less likely to absorb moisture from the air. This gives you more control over your curls.
Choosing the Right Products
Curly hair requires proper attention, and it also requires the right choice of products to keep it healthy and moisturized. Curly Hair Solutions offers a variety of products specifically designed to maintain your curly hair’s health (however curly it is) through every season, including spring. Unlike many of the top styling products and shampoos on the market today, our products contain no silicone. Our products are all water-activated, which means the humidity will leave your hair looking bouncy and shiny instead of frizzy and dull. We’re proud to offer a products line that includes: detanglers, shampoos, conditioners, and the classic “Curl Keeper” styling product that locks in your style for days, and more.
If spring has you feeling anxious about the condition of your curly hair, Curly Hair Solutions is the answer. Our products outperform all others when it comes to curly hair of all types, and all it takes to activate them is a quick spritz of water. Follow the above hair health tips and make Curly Hair Solutions part of your everyday routine. Enjoy curly hair that is defined, bouncy, and healthy all year.